Hins Cheung: Spring.Summer.Autumn.Winter

Saturday 24 July 2010

Hins CheungTrack 1: 过云雨 Guo Yun Yu (Rain of Passing Cloud)
The first radio plug from the album. It’s very different from his previous songs. Instead of powerful ballad, this song is simple, serene and folk-like, a bit like Stefanie Sun’s “Yu Jian (Meeting)”. I was surprise at how this song dominated many Chinese music chart. For me, this song is made beautiful by Hins’s vocal.

Track 2: Hurt So Bad
Composed and written by Hins, it’s a theme song of a movie and the first version titled “拥抱每一刻 Yong Bao Mei Yi Ke” was recorded long before this album was out. I feel nothing special about this song when I first listened to it, but I’ve grown to love this song more and more. The ad-libs are good and it’s as if I can feel the hurting while listening to it. However, the lyrics is nothing compared to his previous “无能为力 Wu Neng Wei Li”, “Dear You” and “断点 Duan Dian”.

Track 3: 有一首歌 You Yi Shou Ge (There’s A Song)
Hins singing rock? I was as shocked as you when I heard of that. Well, this song is ok, just not great.
Track 4: 分手前的雨天 Fen Shou Qian De Yu Tian (The Rainy Day Before Breaking Up)
I bought this album few weeks ago, this song sounds so boring to me. Maybe it’s due to the minor key in the chorus, it sounds very 80s-like. And I started skipping this song. However, when I heard this song on radio again today, I found that I like it.

Track 5: 云里的月光 Yun Li De Yue Guang (Moonlight in the Cloud)
I prefer this one compared to the previous track. Nice ballad about mother love. I especially like the piano arrangement. However, the little boy calling “mummy” really does ruin the song. I feel like editing it out when I listen.

Track 6: 不要 Bu Yao (Don’t Want)
When I started to get bored with the ballads, this song came as a surprise. Alternative rock song. That’s it! This is the real Hins! This is my favourite song from the album and it’s exactly what I expect from him.

Track 7: 随你 Sui Ni (Up To You)
An alternative ballad duet between Hins and Ivana Wong. Its Cantonese version “手望 Sao Mong” was released on Ivana’s “I Love My Name” album. I can actually understand why is this song remade and included here. The song is simply beautiful. I prefer the Cantonese lyrics even though the Mandarin lyrics is good too. Then I realized that she actually write the Mandarin lyrics first.

Track 8: 如果我 Ru Guo Wo (If I)
Composed by Ivana Wong and therefore it’s very Ivana-styled. It’s soft and comfortable, and I just love the feeling of the songs. Hins said that there was once he called Ivana to chat and he cried on the phone. That night, Ivana wrote this song. Looking at the lyrics, I wonder if it describes the relationship of both of them. :)

Track 9: 偷故事的人 Tou Gu Shi De Ren (Story Stealer)
This was originally a church song when Hins sang it in Cantonese, titiled “遇见神 (Meeting God)”. Beautiful melody composed by Kam Pui Tat. Like track 7, I too prefer the Cantonese lyrics which is much more meaningful.

Track 10: 绝顶爱情 Jue Ding Ai Qing (Absolute Love)
The best is saved till the last! This jazz duet between Hins and his father is splendid. It suits both his and his father’s voices so much and I absolutely love the jazz piano and guitar. Really hope that Hins will sing more jazz songs in the future.


Hins has been trying something new in this album, like rock and folk. This time he has collaborated with different composers and producers. Unlike his previous album, this album is more easy-listening and comfortable.

In my opinion, the album is good, but not great enough for Hins’s standard. Most of the songs that I like from this album are those composed by himself. If it wasn’t of him, or if I wasn’t a fans, I’ll be satisfied with this album. However, I’m so used to his style and his previous album “Am/pm” is so good, this album has led me to some disappointment.

It was due to the poor sales response of his previous album “Am/pm” that Hins decided to change his style of music. Obviously, the songs in this album are more easily accepted by the general pop-music listener. Still, for me “Am/pm” is his best album so far. Hopefully by the next album, Hins will go back to the music that he really wants to do, because I miss songs like “眼睛 Yan Jing” and “Envy” so much. Also, hopefully there will be more compositions of himself in his next album.

Recommended tracks: 1, 2, 6, 7, 9, 10

[Source]

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Insert Ur Comment!

 
 
 
eXTReMe Tracker